Friday, August 7, 2009

The Fashion Show’s Merlin Castell talks about his style

By Susan Jordan
Celebrity fashion designer and star of Bravo’s hit “The Fashion Show,” Merlin Castell is no newcomer to mesmerizing viewers with his glamorous designs and eccentric personality.

Known for his haute couture tailored clothing crafted from highly luxurious fabrics, Merlin has attached his name to some of Hollywood’s most recognizable entertainers, such as Paris Hilton, Carlos Santana and even Marilyn Manson.

Merlin and his designs have been featured in both national and regional television shows, including “The Janice Dickenson Modeling Agency, ” “LATV,” “The Insider,” “Al Rojo Vivo,” “American Latino Television” and Bravo’s “The Fashion Show.” Merlin has also been featured in print publications such as “Women’s Wear Daily,” “Las Vegas Magazine” and “Las Vegas Weekly.”

Named one of the top designers to watch out for, this chameleon of fashion is constantly venturing into realms other designers dare not step into. On “The Fashion Show” Merlin made such an impression with the viewers and judges that Bravo asked him to appear back on the show’s finale as a fashion expert.

Merlin Castell answered some questions about his work for The Empty Closet.

What is your fashion or style philosophy?
Well, to tell you the truth I really don’t have one. As a designer I’m always changing with the seasons. But if I were to have one, I would have to say, epic, timeless, sensational.

Which great designers have inspired and influenced you?
Valentino would be my number one choice. A close second would be (a tie between) Yves St Laurent and Balenciaga.

Do you feel your work resembles haute couture in that you design for individuals, not the mass market?
I would have to say yes. However, I would license my name so that the masses would be able to wear my product. With the same high standards, with more affordable prices.

Who have you never designed for but would really like to?
I would have to say most definitely my princess/goddess Nicole Kidman.

What do you most enjoy about the show?
The show afforded me the chance to go to New York City, where I’ve always wanted to visit but never had the chance. And of course I can’t forget the massive amount of exposure.

Anything you’d like to add?
What I would like to add is that I really got the chance to show the world that I’m a unique and talented designer, not just a character/TV personality.

No comments: