Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Uncovering Merlin's Fashions By Mike Pingel


Merlin Castell is best known in the fashion industry for his stunning couture, his outrageous look and his time on TV's The Fashion Show. With the launch of his out-of-this-world Mars-inspired fall 2010 line called “The Space Traveler,” we wanted to find out a little bit more about this talented man.

When did you first know you wanted to be a fashion designer?
One of my earliest fashion memories is one of me dressing my mother. I think I was around the age of eight when I started telling her what she should and shouldn’t wear.

Where did you study?
I studied fashion in Mexico for a short period of time. There my teacher compared me to Frida Khalo, saying my style was different and suggested I further my studies in Italy.

What material did you like to work with most?
My specialty in school was working with leather, but there was a time when I couldn’t afford leather, so I started to apply my ideas to fabric and that became a whole new sensation.

Do you have a motto?
I believe a true designer is one who can bring a new concept in design. One who believes what he does is innovative and risky but does it because it comes from inside the heart.

Any final words?
My journey has been very magical.

To find out more about Merlin Castell check out his official website at merlincastell.com.

No comments: